The ’21–’22 school year begins August 16. Read an update from the Head of School here.
1. Our very own Debbie Klongtruadroke, Class of 1996, recently released a touching new Christian ballad entitled Jesus First In All (Ewing Entertainment) on YouTube. The song is described as a “prayer to aid meditation and worship.” Be sure to look up the music video, which was shot in the gorgeous locale of the Erawan waterfalls in Kanchanaburi.
2. Congratulations to Class of 1989’s Ronald Busarakamwongs—known in the Thai music industry as Ron B—on his new R&B single I Got Cha (FLYWAY Entertainment). Ron has been keeping busy promoting the song on radio shows and TV performances since the summer. Make sure to check out the music video for this catchy Thai-English bop on YouTube!
3. Congrats to our most recently married RIS couple, Nut Sangpattarachai and Cindy Salinthip, both from the Class of 2002. There have been dozens of married alumni couples over the decades, but not many have made the inspired move to shoot pre-engagement photos back at school—decked out in throwback RIS uniforms to boot! Nut and Cindy seamlessly blended in with present-day RIS high schoolers as they posed for pre-wedding photos at their favorite locations.
4. Over recent months, Class of 2015 RIS alumna Sai Kirin Techawongtham—who lost her sight at age 13—and her black Labrador, Luther, have become media sensations and champions for social change in Thailand. Their Facebook page My Name Is Luther went viral over the summer, garnering over 100,000 followers in just two months, and has helped to change the public’s mindset regarding disabled people by raising the importance of equal treatment and accessibility within public spaces for disabled people and guide dogs in particular. Sai, who recently graduated with a degree in psychology in the United States, paid a visit to RIS in September, posing for pictures with Luther and sharing that she would be continuing her studies abroad in the near future. To support and follow Sai’s and Luther’s page, visit Facebook.com/guidedogluther
5. RIS alumni keep moving up in the world! Our community has been especially excited to learn of the news that Google Thailand’s newest Country Manager is none other than Class of 1998’s Jackie Wang, who takes over the reins from Ben King as he heads to Singapore. Congrats and way to go, Jackie!
6. Get inspired by world-renowned award-winning artist and Columbia University professor Rirkrit Tiravanija, Class of 1979, in a recently released Artist Talks interview! Artist Talks, which can be viewed on YouTube, is a program by the Fondation Beyeler & UBS in which contemporary artists speak about their work. In his interview, Rirkrit talks art, audiences, and community engagement with Apinan Poshyananda, one of Asia’s most renowned art curators and writers.
7. Big congrats to Lalamove Thailand’s Country Managing Director Ravi Sethi, Class of 2008, on his recent feature in the September issue of Masala Lite! By now you must recognize Lalamove’s signature orange delivery bags zipping across the city. In Masala Lite’s cover story, “Forward Momentum,” Ravi speaks about his continual drive to improve and take on new challenges. “After you find a job that is right for you, you need to think about what value you can personally add to a company and then execute it,” Ravi shared in the interview. “I have not seen any situation where someone put in a lot of hard work and it didn’t pay off. Hard work always pays off.”
8. Former golf champion, beauty blogger, and multi-talented entrepreneur Rika Dila, Class of 1983, celebrates the 16th anniversary of the iconic HISOPARTY magazine as one of its cover stars alongside her handsome son, Leo Tejavibulya. Rika, hailed as “the empowered mom,” shares her experiences and advice on parenting today in a new column celebrating family life.
9. Class of 2004 alumnus and Blockchain expert Sanjay Popli is featured in an insightful interview with Asia Blockchain Review (the largest initiative for media and community building in Asia for blockchain technology). In the interview, Sanjay talks about Thailand’s blockchain ecosystem and the business landscape’s potential for growth. Sanjay particularly highlights the promotion of education to drive Thailand’s digital ecosystem. To read the interview, visit asianblockchainreview.com.